Nugent Senior Housing
Loading... Please wait...
Nugent Senior Housing is located on West Johnson Street in Philadelphia and was constructed in 1896 in order to provide care for the elderly Baptist Ministers and their wives. It was built by philanthropist George Nugent in 1896 and was designed by J. Franklin Stuckert in the Chateauesque-style. For more than ten years the building sat vacant and in dire need of repairs. The building was acquired by Nolen Properties in 2006 the same year it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Nolen Properties secured a combination of low-income housing tax credits, historic preservation tax credits and a loan from the Office of Housing and Community Development to finance the $16 million project. JKR Architects was hired as the project architects who had just completed Presser Senior Apartments with Nolen Properties that sits on the same campus. Construction was started in the fall of 2012 with extensive remediation and demolition taking place. In order to make the numbers work a four story, 30,000 square foot addition was built at the rear of the property to match the original structure. The original building was completely renovated which included extensive work to restore the monumental stairs in the center of the building, new windows and mechanical systems. Extensive time and money was spent to ensure that the new terra-cotta roof would match the roof installed in 1896. In order to replicate the tile the roof was measured with a series of lasers in order to replicate the original segmented tiles. The existing structure now houses a community room, manager’s office and 26 apartments while the new building contains thirty-six (36) apartments, laundry facilities, sitting areas and new elevators